I woke up to the odor of smoke in our family room.
I lived alone in our house, so I knew there wasn’t anyone smoking.
I checked the bathroom to make sure I hadn’t left the curling iron turned on. I went to the dining room to see if there was something there that could have been left on. I ended up going back to our family room because that was where I odored the smoke the strongest. I headed over to the bed, and I realized the odor was coming from the air vents. I got down on the floor and was close to the air vent. I couldn’t see any smoke, but there was genuinely the odor of something burning coming from the air vent. I called the Heating and Air Conditioning supplier and told them I could odor smoke and they said they would send someone out to the house. Fifteen minutes later, I not only had the Heating and Air Conditioning supplier at the house, but I had a fire truck outside. The Heating and Air Conditioning tech told me they called the fire supplier in case there was a fire inside the chimney. They went into the basement and checked the heating system and checked to make sure there were no warm spots on the ductwork. They even went outside to look at the air conditioner unit, in case someone had dropped a cigarette near it and the grass caught on fire. The only thing they found was that the neighbor was burning leaves. They found a crack in the ductwork where the smoke was coming through and it was being carried through the ductwork and up to the air vent. I felt so foolish having a fire truck and a Heating and Air Conditioning repair van in our driveway, because of the neighbor’s leaves.