While we managed to get rid of most of the smoke before the guests arrived, the venue was downright cold inside
My sister Angela got married last year. Everything about Angela’s wedding, from the invitations and flowers to her dress and the cake were extravagant. She decided that she wanted her bridal shower to be held at a brand new, boutique restaurant right downtown. There were some problems with this demand. For one thing, there’s no parking near the venue, forcing everyone who attended to walk quite a distance. This wouldn’t have been so terrible if not for the time of year. The shower was held in March, and the weather was terrible. The temperature that day was eighteen degrees with several inches of snow on the ground and freezy rain falling from the sky. Because of the winter-like conditions, we wanted to make sure the venue was warm and comfortable once everyone arrived. My sister was adamant that there be a fire lit in the fireplace for ambience. Since the restaurant was brand new, no one had ever used the fireplace before. The employees who were assisting us, definitely had no idea what they were doing. They failed to open the flue and the whole place filled with smoke. We needed to open the door and windows for ventilation. The management refused to run the heating system with freezing cold air rushing in and the heat pouring out. While we managed to get rid of most of the smoke before the guests arrived, the venue was downright cold inside. Everybody was forced to keep their coats on and stand right up close to the fire. Fortunately the food was good, but I don’t think anyone had a very enjoyable experience.