I work for the clothing factory and have been for the past two years.
- Since it gets very hot in the factory during the manufacturing process, we had a heat pump to ensure that we were cool as we worked.
Sometimes, it got so busy in the factory especially when we had to meet production deadlines, and we forgot to have the cooling workman perform air conditioning maintenance on the unit. Now, this summer we forgot to service the unit which was quite old but had served us as efficiently as possible. When at the peak of production, we suddenly heard a loud bang where the unit was placed and then we saw fire. We all followed the fire drill that we had been trained to in case of such an issue. The air condition expert at the factory put out the fire. It had not caused any damage apart from the unit which was completely destroyed. The a/c worker determined that the heat and AC products had worn out and rubbed against each other causing a spark that ignited the unit. This was all because we did not take proper care of the ductless HVAC. Fortunately, no one was hurt in the fire, however, the a/c representative recommended that we get a new system from the HVAC supplier and have the local contractor install it strategically. The management also requested that the technicians install an air quality system as part of the whole home air purification systems from the best quality HVAC brands. With this new system, we did not need to do air duct cleaning since it was vent-free. This lesson taught us to never be too busy to take care of the unit that ensures our working environment is comfortable.